It's been a while since I've put something into the microwave and seen sparks fly... not counting today when I got to relive the thrill.
A popular "North-land" item is a hand made cloth bag filled with rice or corn that can be put in the microwave for a minute or two. This makes a great heat pad you can use to warm your hands or any other part of your anatomy.
Carol made the one to the left for me yesterday out of one of my favorite corduroy shirts that I had worn out. We have several such homemade bags at home, my favorite being one made out of an old Vikings sweatshirt with a big embroidered logo on it.
I also keep one of these handy warmers at the office where I turn the furnace down to 62 degrees when I'm not there. It's nice to drop in my lap until the furnace gets the home back up to 70 degrees.
Today, like many others, I pulled the bag out of a kitchen drawer and through it into the microwave.
Unlike other days I noticed a spark shortly after starting the microwave. I looked in disbelieve for a moment and then a few more sparks, a flame, and the smell of smoke. What the heck!
I shut the microwave down, removed the damaged bag, and of course spilled out a bunch of rice all over the floor.
The culprit... a bread tie that was also in the kitchen drawer hitched a ride by clinging onto the bag and I failed to notice it. It's a good thing I was right their and not multi-tasking throwing the bag in the microwave and then going off to do something else.
I guess if there is a moral to the story it would be: Be aware of what your cooking in the kitchen... even in a microwave.
WARD COUNTY NOTARY SERVICES
ROBERT L. TIMM, OWNER
201 Main Street South, Suite 116
Minot North Dakota 58701
Call or text 701-720-8513